OCD and kindness to others - questions
Question for self: am I truly a generous person if I'm doing it out of fear that if I don't give or do at the exact right moment, bad things will happen to the people I love? If I'm being kind in order to keep bad things from happening, then am I really being kind? Or am I being self-absorbed, thanks in part to my condition (OCD), thanks in part to my inability - or is it incompetence or just not applying myself hard enough - to overcome the symptoms without resorting to the compulsions and rituals? When being kind to others becomes a ritual to inoculate them against the bad thoughts and fears in my head, is it real kindness, then?
I wonder. I don't know. I'm doing it to protect them. But they are strong and capable enough of protecting themselves. I need to take responsibility for my own thoughts instead of involving others in my rituals. If I'm kind, it needs to come from the heart. Because I love them, not because I expect anything before or after that one single moment. Because in that one single moment, it's an act of pure love, rather than control over fate.
I need to be alone. Until I can control my thoughts. Until I can stop involving others in my illness.
I wonder. I don't know. I'm doing it to protect them. But they are strong and capable enough of protecting themselves. I need to take responsibility for my own thoughts instead of involving others in my rituals. If I'm kind, it needs to come from the heart. Because I love them, not because I expect anything before or after that one single moment. Because in that one single moment, it's an act of pure love, rather than control over fate.
I need to be alone. Until I can control my thoughts. Until I can stop involving others in my illness.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home