Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Hades

We dance to the Earth
We dance to the water
The gods awake, and we take no chance
Our hearts hear the song;
Our feet move along, and
To the music of the gods, we dance

~"Once on This Island"


So. Nuevo Orleans. It feels strange to be here, in the United States, after all this time. Three months will not seem like a lot to someone who has made Costa Rica their permanent home - it will seem like baby steps. To me, it means the world.

I shall return someday.

Now, I am here in this strange house, waiting for my breakfast to heat up. There, it's done. A gigantic maple tree waves from outside. This is a house of water, as well as the bearer of this house. He told me long ago that he is a jealous person, as well as his girlfriend. This makes sense: water takes power over the other elements, though they do usually balance each other. It was water that gave Costa Rica one of its rainiest seasons in recent memory, water that rose up and hurled New Orleans apart once. Water flooded the valley where my Nana lives, to the north in rural Curtis of Washington State, water that deposited new earth (silt) onto her banks. Water can be generous. And water in the frozen form of ice that, with wind, shook Oklahoma and the other Great Plains states apart in the recent storm: even now, ten days later, 37,000 are in darkness and remind the rest of us of the price of Demetria. Yes, they could be Pluto and Proserpine, the two hosts of the underworld, which resides beneath the darkness of the lakes, across the river Styx. Pluto, upon taking Proserpine, rode with her, drinking of her tears until he made her his wife, deep in the tunnels of his earthly riches and jewels he coveted from the Earth Mother Goddess. Proserpine, in turn, allowed that no one would look at her husband, and turned a nymph into a torch of flame for tempting him. Yes, my hosts might be they. Her name is Demetria, mother of Proserpine. Perhaps I am Orpheus, a temporary musician there only to sing in the gloom for their entertainment, as I hope to entreat them and take back what is mine.


I must explore more this arthouse of mysteries. It has been a long time since I were in a rich person's house, admiring their dragon's hoard of arts and tools. It is inspiring, and it is only a very brief time that I shall spend here. For me, Nature's riches are to be lived among and admired, not hoarded. I belong outdoors.


Soon...
~Yvea

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home