Saturday, August 11, 2007

Interesting...

Interesting...

"The party's over." That is what Mike Vernon wrote to me in his reply email, and that is I suppose what I expected / feared would happen most. Susi Nicholson came by to let a new resident into B205, a room which should have been empty. Unbeknownst to her, Dave Griese has been squatting in it; Mike Langan, again the summer RA, left all the vacated rooms unlocked. She called me after she had come by B2, expressing surprise that B204, B205, and B207 all seemed to have stuff in it, despite being empty. In spite of knowing that Tony's squatting in B204, Dave's in B205, and someone is using B207 and the large bathroom as a storage unit, I told Susi that "former PICAns often leave things behind." I immediately wrote my five housemates, including the two squatters, an email telling them about it. As of yet, Mike Vernon is the only one to respond; Tony said in person that he will be out by Monday.

I'm not sure what to say about the situation. It really isn't my responsibility. I stuck my neck out just enough to get Susi to open B204 and B205 (she had locked them when she came to investigate B205), because I knew that neither Dave nor Tony has keys to their rooms, and Mike Langan is out of town until Wednesday. I don't think I should take any more responsibility than that. I don't have problems with squatters - I had two living out of my room last summer - but I don't want the situation to get everyone in trouble. I lied to Susi to get her to open the doors again; I feel the weight of that lie on my chest, now, and am ashamed of doing it. But in the end, we're only responsible for our own actions, and mine's to clean up the rest of B2 before our new housemate arrives, as Susi wants us to lay out a good initial impression.

Lots to do in the Garden! As always, the Garden is in transition right now - though perhaps this is the most crucial one of the year. Five beds of cover crop are digesting right now. I have taken other beds, patches, and fragments of the perimeter and, after working the soil, covercropped them. Two wheelbarrows of freshly sifted compost appeared a week ago - and for the first time this summer, they were all for the Garden. I am carefully deciding right now where to use the last one. Hopefully, we might get one more load before the end of summer. We will probably use the five beds, once finished digesting, to plant the overwintering crop for next year's PICAns. I am happy to say that the summer work crew turned them in with me and saved a lot of time and effort. I am worried that this might be the last of the help I will receive in the Garden. Again, the workcrew has been drawn to Bee's and Steve's projects in the A-Quad - -understandable, as that is why we were hired. But I remain in the Garden. Like last summer, it is more important to me to protect what we have already started, rather to expand out and potentially spread ourselves too thin. It is a value that Marley left with me, and I continue to practice it.

Surprisingly, the last few weeks have been somewhat like a dream - it feels weird to relax this much. I'm still getting over worries that I am somehow inadequate for taking this much time to myself. I still work, of course, but less. My depression got too strong; it's been raging for a few weeks. A week or so after it hit, I was in a conversation with Adam, and he lit into me when he discovered that I had never picked up the Harry Potter series. Grudgingly, I picked up the first book - now, two weeks later, I am thick into the seventh and last book. 2000+ pages? You can bet that it's boosting my morale quite a bit in this difficult time period. :-) We'll see if I can't move past the invisible boulder on my chest - "my black dog in the corner", as Winston Churchill might have said.

Peace, and love,
~Yvea

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home