Monday, May 22, 2006

new systems in PICA

Okay, so it's about 4:32 A.M., and I am still writing my paper on Chile. Some individual (blessed be!) chose shy of 3 A.M. to take a tinkle, waking me up. So I get to finish my Chilean paper right now, instead of procrastinating.

I've had no motivation for school work lately; my head is in the Garden. I've been thinking rather intensely about the health and survival of those plants. It seems we have a lot of new systems in place: the two compost piles next to the dahlia tree; the manure from the horses that we've been meaning to organize with Jose; the new compost system Mike is building; choosing straw, sawdust mulch, coffee, or oakleaves as our form of direct fertilization; sheet mulching; milpa system with the Sacred Trinity (corn, beans, squash); cover crops and more soil building; new starts; food production (purchase orders for big events, leftovers) and foraging (I prefer the foraging for fruit because we take only what we need, though I am thankful also for the foods of these events. I am thankful for any food); the gardening journal; the Sunday Night Rituals ...I am getting a sense that we want to ritualize but it's not quite as smooth as we want it, yet. I get a sense that people are more involved now than in the beginning of Fall Quarter.

We went through a lot this year, as a community. I am not sure if I am ready for this year to end. "Woo hoo! Woo hoo! Summertime!!" On Monday, Jacque, Biseat, and Katie said that they think I should be the Garden Coordinator. I am humbled by this, but afraid, too. Marley has taught me a lot in the last few months. It's not that I'm scared to take it on - that's what I'm looking forward to most - what worries me is that people may be unhappy if I am. This Garden has a sensitive history; people spent most of this year feeling excluded from it. I want everyone to feel included. If people feel the slightest bit excluded, they could take it out on me. And I'm not the loudest person - people may not hear me when I speak. ...I just want to make sure that they can do what they want within the Garden, that they can enjoy it and let the Garden take care of them. I enable what they wish for by helping them through - ...and then later on, when they have forgotten and moved on, I will take care of what they have started. That is my service to perform.

No - that's not what worries me. What worries me most is ...the loneliness. This summer, with the exceptions of Mike and Rebecca, and later John, I will be alone again. Will I be able to handle it?

~Yvea

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home