Monday, December 04, 2006

love & community

Exciting weekend. This one, we had a beautiful multitude of people. Saturday morning began in the garden, with a group of us harvesting basil from the long-suffering bed 17, and two went to get soil from the Mines. We weeded and took everything out of the bed. Before we started double-digging, duty called us to the BRAND NEW COMPOSTING SYSTEM and we made the third pile, filling the first bin again, with dry matter, horse manure, food scraps, and partial compost. The horse manure very pleasantly fell on me a few times, much to everyone's glee.

Then we came back into the Garden and double-dug the now-softened bed, adding in two wheelbarrows' worth of decomposed leaf mould. Afterwards, Steve was waiting with food from the grill, and we ate a hearty lunch. Sarah, Megan, Natasha, Richard, John, David Griese, David Saxton, Mike, Henry, Bee, Bart, Steve, and I took a few moments to reflect on the amazing quarter, through the words of the kindly old gardener-mentor who had come to pay his respects and cook us his good food. I convinced Steve to come to the garden workdays next quarter, while he is taking his sabbatical. He already had planned to come to the seminars (which Sarah Rabkin will be teaching), but I said how happy I would be if he would come to the Saturday workdays, that he's chosen them instead... I think that Saturdays are the most community days all week- if, indeed, a "most" community day does exist. We'd like to think that they're all that way.

Now it is time to plant our seeds for tomorrow, pack up and prepare the grounds for more frosting, and make sure that all elements are present for their rebirth. I celebrate it, now. I celebrate the hibernations of the restful seasons.

An instant happens, a moment when you can let go. Say, "it's okay," and breathe again. Everything that's done is done, and those beautiful moments live on. Don't try and recapture them, but admire them as they have been. That is your inheritance. That is what you will take with you into the neverworlds and the clouds beyond. But for now, these are our gifts to you.

But find yourself in a garden of your choice, and sing out to the birds that surround you, who even now are saying, "is she watching us? Does she admire our beauty?" Yes, and more - I admire your songs, I admire your being. I love you all, all the world, and sometimes it happens so fast, and all rushes out like a river, and so fast that I find myself crying, then laughing again as something new and exciting and beautiful and profound takes place, and all the while the wind whispers:

...CuĂ­date...


Peace,
~Yvea

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home