pining
Time flies away as I nap out in the garden - or was that yesterday? Sometimes, I feel as though I am not here when I sleep - as if I took off and flew someplace else. Perhaps I am. Perhaps I do. There is nobody around to tell me otherwise - just myself and the trees.
Today I saw a young buck come to the gate of the garden. He got startled away when someone came by dragging their suitcase. He swiftly stole away up the hill. Deers are good luck.
All life is good, if we respect it.
I began tilthing that hard soilpan aside the pond, on the backside. It was surprisingly rich and easier, once my fork penetrated past the first three inches. I am inclined to cover crop a small strip of it and save sheet-mulching for the larger part. Yes. That way, I can grow pretty plants alongside the fence next year and help (a) keep the rodents down (by successively planting a repulsive species) and (b) keep the aesthetics morale up. I sense that people would feel better about working in the garden if it were prettier and if it were made theirs.
They must make it their own. Not me. I can only help show them the way.
I have begun pruning the tomatoes and reinventorying the seeds. I need more research on pruning before I can proceed, and it was getting cold by the time I started the inventory. I'll finish it here, inside... Those onions would be perfect in a corn bed, one of the ones that isn't so full. That way, maybe they can break up the roots better. Thank goodness for that alfalfa, that's doing the job.
I really need to work out a routine, or something. This idleness is driving me crazy. It's in part because of depression; I'm depressed that my friends aren't here. I'm sad that I'm so lonely. But loneliness is no excuse, and I am more than capable of making the transition. I must hold on.
I've gotten all of PICA's stuff in B3, relatively organized. I got Susan's stuff in there today, despite the black widow that was climbing all over her leather jacket. I managed to get moved out. I have ideas, inspiration, for what is to come next. I kept all the plants alive. And I even rescued those three Capsicum annuum from Chadwick Gardens. I am doing okay. Just a schedule would be nice, something to hold myself to.
I have an idea about putting plants out on the A1 strip ...but I won't share it yet. I want to see if and how it will work out first, then let it be a surprise. I just need to make a trip to San Lorenzo Garden Center ...with Karen's help, preferably.
So maybe my schedule will look something like this...
7:00-8:00 morning watering
8:30-9:30 morning task-setting (setting up, et al)
10:00 check in with Steve and Karen for the day
10:00-12:00 main task #1
12:30-17:30 main task #2
18:00 evening watering
19:30 dinner//rest
Seems so simple, doesn't it? Well, I am sure that it will get more detailed within the next week or two.
There is something I've been considering for a while...
What if the best way to view these tasks were to the impacts on the land? In the mornings, we water solanaceous plants because they need time to get dry before evening. During the day, we never do activities that involve removing of plants or soils, unless it's harvesting salads for lunch. This is because we will lose water and nutrients - and thus, the plants will lose energy. So what do we do in the middle of the day? Building activities. We build soil. We put mulch and straw atop soil. We tie up plants. These are activities that build the health of this garden. Now, at night, we can prune, transplant, water, etc, because then the plants have a night to rest and recuperate. It might get cold at night, for the plants' metabolism and newer entry wounds from pruning ...but that's a time where the plants open their stomatas and thus can release or uptake energy//nutrients that they couldn't during the day (even though photosynthesis happens exclusively during the day, or so they assert).
Peace,
~Yvea O Eaton
Today I saw a young buck come to the gate of the garden. He got startled away when someone came by dragging their suitcase. He swiftly stole away up the hill. Deers are good luck.
All life is good, if we respect it.
I began tilthing that hard soilpan aside the pond, on the backside. It was surprisingly rich and easier, once my fork penetrated past the first three inches. I am inclined to cover crop a small strip of it and save sheet-mulching for the larger part. Yes. That way, I can grow pretty plants alongside the fence next year and help (a) keep the rodents down (by successively planting a repulsive species) and (b) keep the aesthetics morale up. I sense that people would feel better about working in the garden if it were prettier and if it were made theirs.
They must make it their own. Not me. I can only help show them the way.
I have begun pruning the tomatoes and reinventorying the seeds. I need more research on pruning before I can proceed, and it was getting cold by the time I started the inventory. I'll finish it here, inside... Those onions would be perfect in a corn bed, one of the ones that isn't so full. That way, maybe they can break up the roots better. Thank goodness for that alfalfa, that's doing the job.
I really need to work out a routine, or something. This idleness is driving me crazy. It's in part because of depression; I'm depressed that my friends aren't here. I'm sad that I'm so lonely. But loneliness is no excuse, and I am more than capable of making the transition. I must hold on.
I've gotten all of PICA's stuff in B3, relatively organized. I got Susan's stuff in there today, despite the black widow that was climbing all over her leather jacket. I managed to get moved out. I have ideas, inspiration, for what is to come next. I kept all the plants alive. And I even rescued those three Capsicum annuum from Chadwick Gardens. I am doing okay. Just a schedule would be nice, something to hold myself to.
I have an idea about putting plants out on the A1 strip ...but I won't share it yet. I want to see if and how it will work out first, then let it be a surprise. I just need to make a trip to San Lorenzo Garden Center ...with Karen's help, preferably.
So maybe my schedule will look something like this...
7:00-8:00 morning watering
8:30-9:30 morning task-setting (setting up, et al)
10:00 check in with Steve and Karen for the day
10:00-12:00 main task #1
12:30-17:30 main task #2
18:00 evening watering
19:30 dinner//rest
Seems so simple, doesn't it? Well, I am sure that it will get more detailed within the next week or two.
There is something I've been considering for a while...
What if the best way to view these tasks were to the impacts on the land? In the mornings, we water solanaceous plants because they need time to get dry before evening. During the day, we never do activities that involve removing of plants or soils, unless it's harvesting salads for lunch. This is because we will lose water and nutrients - and thus, the plants will lose energy. So what do we do in the middle of the day? Building activities. We build soil. We put mulch and straw atop soil. We tie up plants. These are activities that build the health of this garden. Now, at night, we can prune, transplant, water, etc, because then the plants have a night to rest and recuperate. It might get cold at night, for the plants' metabolism and newer entry wounds from pruning ...but that's a time where the plants open their stomatas and thus can release or uptake energy//nutrients that they couldn't during the day (even though photosynthesis happens exclusively during the day, or so they assert).
Peace,
~Yvea O Eaton

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home