Friday, June 23, 2006

vermiculture

I am still contemplating whether or not we need red worms or more rotting fruit. I am pretty sure about the worms: in order to produce more effective soils, we need to introduce a community instead of just nutrients - and I think that the worms are the number one thing gone missing.

It might be silly to try to incorporate them into the large-scale composting system, when it is completed. I think, instead, that we should set up the vermiculture system that has been sitting out in front of A1. We could make the demonstration just within the A-Quad and have educational signs explaining about how it would work. Then, also, the people who visit A1 will not have to go through the confusion of the six-bin system, once that is set up. Instead, they simply empty the refuse into the top tote. Perfect. Simple.

That way, we can contrast large-scale composting to smaller-scaled homeuse systems. Rural versus urban sustainability.

The interesting thing will be in seeing how well the tomatoes fruit. They aren't doing so well in this heat ...or this spacing ...or whatever it is that is causing their leaves to wilt. I was going to ask Dave Shaw about it, but I think I should learn about it alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home